Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blog Monday: Lovely Living.

4 things I like about living where I do.

1. the coffee station.
Although Bry is NOT a coffee drinker - neverhasbeen. neverwillbe. -, he has never restricted or hindered my love for it. In fact, he never even put up a fight or objection to my, rather extensive, coffee station. It is in one of my favorite rooms of the house - the Brisk Olive kitchen - and it includes: a whole bean canister, a coffee bean grinder, a freshly ground bean canister, a coffee brewer, and, very often, my next bag of Starbucks coffee beans ready to make their way through the four step process. Each stainless steel piece has its own unique and equally valuable function. And I love coming down the stairs to it each morning.

2. the 1 mile loop.
Our street conveniently goes around the block in a nice, even, 1 mile fashion. If you go to the left you have a gradual downhill, with a steep uphill at the about mile .75. If you go right you have a steep downhill, with a gradual uphill from about mile .4 to mile .75. I go left. But this loop is great for a quick run, a one-mile time trial, a 2, 3, or 4 mile run, equally exactly those amounts, and (my favorite) a nice brisk walk with a pup that has short little legs. :)



3. the sun's greeting and departure.
This might be one of my favorite things about our house. And it was something that came as surprise after we moved in. The sun conveniently rises in front of our house, coming in the living room windows. Even the blinds can't contain it. It actually distracts me for a few seconds as I come down stairs with my single-minded thought - make it to the coffee station. Consequently, the sun sets in our backyard. Therefore, the sun room in the back of house fulfills is purpose each and every evening. This contribues to why we still have not gotten blinds in the sun room.

4. the storm door.
I blogged recently about Bry and I buying and installing a new storm door in the front of our house over Memorial Day weekend. And I've been loving the new door ever since. It's the kind of door that has a panel of glass on top and on bottom. However, you can pull the top glass down and there is instantly a screen! It's pretty awesome. (Note to reader: you know you are a true home-owner when you get excited about storm doors.) As I write this, we are enjoying the door this way, with a cool 70 degree breeze making its way through the living room. I think I like it so much because it reminds me of summers growing up. I loved just having the door open as it got dark after a long day of playing, falling asleep on the couch, and just that feeling of freedom and happiness. I also love this door, because it allows our home to be more open, figuratively and literally. And hospitality is something I strive for.

blessed by those things that make a house a home.
Katie

2 comments:

  1. The sunset in your backyard was amazing during my last visit :) I'm so glad you and Bry get to enjoy this unexpected perk of your new place.

    I love how the storm door takes you back to summers as a kid...freedom and happiness is a perfect description.

    Your strive for hospitality has worked because I have felt nothing but welcome every time I've been a guest at your home....so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. coffeestationsaremyfavorite!

    that's one of the things I like about your house too... and the barista that comes with it! :)

    and I love that pup face! you would pick a dog with short legs.

    and... last, but the most important... I agree 100% with krista! you're always the best hostess. thanks for always being so welcoming. It seems like you'll need to find something else to master, b/c you can consider that done!

    ReplyDelete